|Functional Training Instructor|
|Jeep Rogers Family YMCA|
|Class times vary.|
Job Application Deadline:
YMCA Competencies of a Leader
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fundraising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Under the direction of the Wellness Director and consistent with the Christian mission of the YMCA, the Functional Training Instructor is responsible for leading classes in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes member wellness and engagement.
1. Assesses, monitors, and develops exercise programming based on the athlete’s current and ongoing fitness/performance goals, fitness levels, and readiness for training.
2. Keeps classes fresh by incorporating new music, and exercises or movements patterns to classes.
3. Explain safety rules and know how to properly demonstrate movements
4. Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations
5. Responsible for leaving the Functional Training Court in a clean and orderly condition
6. Report any problems or safety concerns to director
7. Builds effective, authentic relationships with members; helps members connect with each other and the YMCA.
8. Answers questions from members to support them in achieving their goals related to healthy living. Maintains working knowledge of wellness and trends to provide effective information and support to members.
9. Perform administrative tasks associated with class attendance/participation
10. Dedication to maintaining personal integrity and your own health and fitness
11. Attend staff meetings, training and functions as part of the staff team
12. Maintain a neat and professional appearance according to departmental uniform guidelines
13. Actively participate in community fundraising campaigns i.e. Annual Giving, etc.
1. CrossFit Level 1 Certification or equivalent
2. CPR, First Aid, & AED
3. Must be proficient with CrossFit exercises and able to instruct to all ability levels with proper modifications
4. At least one year of experience teaching group wellness classes
5. All mandatory YMCA of Columbia trainings must be completed by the required dates
1. Excellent member service skills and the ability to promote programs and services
2. Passion for helping people achieve their fitness goals
3. Excellent knowledge of human anatomy, kinesiology, & physiology.
4. Ability to perform under stress and reach deadlines.
5. Willing to work flexible work hours based on clients availability
6. Excellent time management skills.
7. Excellent oral and written communication skills
8. Reliable, self-motivated, and self-starter
9. Outgoing personality with a natural ability to build positive and trusting relationships
1. Ability to conduct classes and activities.
2. Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position; including: walking, standing, bending, reaching, climbing, lifting (50 lbs.), kneeling, crouching, seeing, hearing, and carrying (50 lbs.).
3. Ability to “spot” participants