|Group Exercise Instructor|
|Ballentine Family YMCA|
|Based On Experience|
|Mornings and evenings|
Job Application Deadline:
YMCA Competencies of a Leader
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fundraising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
The Group Exercise Instructor instructs quality group fitness classes, provides excellent customer service to members in a safe, enjoyable and positive environment that promotes member wellness in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
We are looking for instructors to teach classes such as Bootcamp, Kettlebells and HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training).
• Lead quality group fitness classes to accomplish the YMCA mission and goals.
• Conduct energizing, fun, safe and educational classes.
• Maintain working knowledge of fitness industry and YMCA trends to provide effective information and training to members.
• Keep accurate class attendance records.
• Be able to respond and follow YMCA policies and procedures in emergency situations.
• Responsible for the safety of all participants during class time.
• Reports to class on time, prepared with materials and equipment, and dressed in appropriate attire.
• Secures qualified substitutes well in advance and provides substitutes with rosters and lesson plans.
• Attends pre-session instructor meetings, staff meetings and instructor workshops as required.
• Maintains all personal certifications; attends workshops and recertification training as needed or required. Provide copies of certifications to Metro.
• Prepares teaching area with necessary equipment and returns it to the storage area at the end of class.
• Participates in branch recruitment for class participants or in program promotion events.
• All other duties as requested by direct supervisor.
• Required Certifications: First Aid/AED/CPR, National Certification (ACE, NETA, AFAA, NASM) in specialty group fitness instruction or YMCA of Foundations of Group Exercise Certification
• Certification in areas of expertise.
• Demonstrated customer service and communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to lead and individual/group and motivate others to achieve
their health and well-being goals.
• Ability to respond to safety and emergency situations.
• 1 year of experience teaching group fitness
• Ability to conduct classes and activities relating to fitness.
• Must be able to perform all physical requirements of the position; including walking, standing, bending, reaching and lifting up to 50 lbs at a time.