|$32,000 - $36,000 annually|
|M-F daytime with occasional nights and weekends|
Job Application Deadline:
YMCA Competencies of a Leader
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fundraising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Under the supervision of the Branch Executive Director and consistent with the Christian mission of the YMCA, the Membership Director will direct all aspects of membership for the Downtown Branch including recruitment of new members, retention of existing members and supervision of assigned staff. Develops, plans and implements new procedures and methods to achieve strategic goals.
The YMCA of Columbia includes 6 facilities serving 5 counties in an 80-mile service area. Columbia is the capital and largest city in South Carolina, located 90 minutes from the Blue Ridge Mountains and 90 minutes from the Carolina beaches and Charleston.
1. Implements membership strategies that support recruitment of new members and retention of existing members. Creates a member-focused culture and models relationship-building skills (including Listen First) in all interactions. Fosters a climate of innovation and resolves problems to ensure member satisfaction.
2. Recruits, hires, trains, develops, and supervises staff and volunteers in assigned areas. Facilitates communication and provides leadership.
3. Models relationship-building skills (including Listen First) in all interactions. Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
4. Promotes program and membership enrollment in interactions with existing and potential members. Coordinates program registration, including logistics to support phone, walk-in and web registration. Coordinates with marketing efforts to maximize enrollments and provides ongoing support to Program Directors on related issues.
5. Participates in the planning of the annual budget; manages and implements the approved budget for membership and takes appropriate action to correct variances
6. Ensures proper implementation of front desk procedures. Reviews and updates desk procedures and communicates changes to staff. Coordinates with the business office as necessary on financial transactions.
7. Organizes membership events at the YMCA and represents the YMCA at community events to promote the YMCA.
8. Leads assigned aspects of the fund-raising campaign.
9. Participates in staff meetings, Association Quality Team(s), and Board Committee(s).
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor's degree in marketing, business, or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
2. Two or more years of customer service experience, preferably in a YMCA or other nonprofit agency.
3. Ability to direct programs through supervision of volunteers and staff, development and monitoring of budgets, marketing and public relations, program development and fund-raising.
4. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Prefer knowledge of, and previous experience with diverse populations.
5. Proven track record of developing authentic and deepened relationships with others.
6. Strong personal computer skills and experience with standard business software.
7. Ability to establish and maintain collaborations with community organizations.
8. CPR/First Aid certifications
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Ys values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions and to supervise membership activities.