|Youth Development Director|
|NorthWest Family YMCA|
|Monday - Friday with some weekend responsibility from time to time.|
Job Application Deadline:
YMCA Competencies of a Leader
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fundraising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Under the direction of the Branch Executive Director and consistent with the Christian mission of the YMCA, the Youth Development Director is responsible for all programming aspects of the Afterschool Childcare Program, Summer Camp, Child Watch services, Justin’s Place and Parent’s Night out.
1. Manages, directs and supervises program activities to meet the needs of the community and fulfill YMCA objectives.
2. Ensures high quality programs and establishes new program activities. Expands programs within the community in accordance with strategic and operating plans.
3. Recruits, hires, trains, develops, schedules and directs cause-driven staff and volunteers that are dedicated to building achievement and belonging in youth and building relationships among youth and within families.
4. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals.
5. Develops, monitors and controls budgets related to the position to meet fiscal objectives. Ensures that all assigned programs operate within budget and that program fees are collected.
6. Assures compliance with federal, state and local regulations as they relate to program areas, including ADA accommodations where appropriate. Ensures that YMCA program standards are met and safety procedures followed.
7. Coordinates use of facilities for program activities and events.
8. Provides for upkeep of assigned program facilities and equipment and ensures the physical environment supports healthy living.
9. Develops and maintains relationships with state child care licensing agency, school administration, parent groups and other organizations and agencies related to assigned programs. Responds to all agency, parent and community inquiries and complaints in a timely manner.
10. Provides staff leadership for annual fundraising campaign and committees as assigned.
11. Assists in YMCA fundraising activities and events.
12. Models relationship-building skills (including Listen First) in all interactions. Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
13. Maintains proper records/department files.
14. Organizes and/or participates special events.
15. Assists with assigned Board Committee(s) and Association Quality Team(s).
16. Assists in the marketing and distribution of program information.
17. Compiles program statistics. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in program.
18. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent.
2. One to two years related experience preferred, as a coordinator or supervisor of youth programs.
3. Minimum age requirements may apply; for example, minimum age of 21.
4. Requirements within 30 days of hire include completion of: Child Abuse Prevention, CPR, First Aid, AED, and Bloodborne Pathogens.
5. Completion of YMCA School-Age Childcare Director certification and assigned youth development courses.
6. Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of
7. Understands the YMCA is a public accommodation committed to inclusion and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
8. Has CDL or will obtain within 90 days of hire.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions of position and to safely supervise program activities in a wide variety of indoor and outdoor locations.