This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to
strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Under the direction of the Aquatics Director and/or Healthy Living Director and consistent with the mission of the YMCA of Columbia, the Aqua Zumba Instructor is responsible for instructing safe, effective and fun water exercise, as well as, enhancing the quality and growth of the program and retention of the participants.
NorthWest Family YMCA
1. Prepares pool area prior to class to ensure class starts on time.
2. Selects choreography and music that meets YMCA guidelines.
3. Ensures that all participants in the class are able to participate. Ensures that the class includes
all YMCA recommended components for a water fitness class.
4. Creates a nurturing and safe environment by reporting suspicious activities that may lead to
child abuse or may violate the code of conduct.
5. Uses equipment as needed in each class. Keeps supplies organized, maintains and clean
facility and cares for equipment.
a. Maintains cleanliness of all audio equipment. (microphone, cd’s, batteries, etc.)
b. Takes responsibility for the care, returning, and storage of all class equipment
c. Takes responsibility for the safety of all participants during class time.
6. Exercises sound judgment in relationship to class safety and injuries. Understands and follows
all emergency procedures.
7. Maintains all personal certifications; attends workshops and recertification training as needed
or required. Provides copies of certifications to supervisor and association office.
8. Engages in positive public relations with members.
9. Wears appropriate dress code approved uniform while on duty.
10. Attends all staff meetings, in-house trainings, demonstrations, special promotions, and
special events as designated by supervisor.
11. Takes responsibility for covering his/her own class when unable to attend.
12. Other duties as assigned.
1. Required Certifications: CPR, First Aid, AED, Oxygen, Aqua Zumba
2. Required Certifications within 30 days of hire: Child Abuse Prevention, Bloodborne Pathogens
3. Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of
1. Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent
2. One or more years related experience preferred
Must have the ability to conduct, demonstrate and safely lead classes at the intensity level formatted
for participants with effective communication and human relations skills to handle situations with
people of all socioeconomic levels. Physical stamina and agility for extended periods of time is
required. Must be able to lift and carry 25 pounds.
$18 – $20
Monday, Wendesday and Friday. 11:00am – 12:00pm