Learn More About What to Expect in June
May 26, 2020
We are ready to begin Phase 2 of our opening operations on June 1! Please know that although we are stepping into our next phase of operations, we are still adhering to restrictions and guidelines provided by the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) as well as State and City officials. Our top priority remains the safety of our members and staff.
Phase 2 reopening changes starting June 1:
- The Pool will be now be open for lap swim (3 per lane), family swim, and aquatic exercise classes. Pool capacity numbers have been decreased due to social distancing guidelines. We ask you to limit your swim time to no longer than 45 minutes so that all members can take advantage of the increased pool offerings.
- Swim lessons and Swim Team will resume. Please be patient with us as we bring swim lessons back on-line. Our aquatics staff is working hard to make adjustments in order to assist as many members as possible.
- SilverSneakers programming will resume. Strict social distancing guidelines will be enforced.
- Group Exercise classes will continue. Many of our more popular group exercise courses have been moved to the gymnasium to allow for more space. Strict social distancing guidelines and room capacity numbers will be enforced.
- The Steam/Sauna room will be available. Social distancing guidelines strictly enforced.
- Summer Camp will be available at our Jeep Rogers and NorthWest YMCA locations starting June 8.
- Hours of Operation will remain 5:00 am to 9:00 pm Monday – Thursday; 5:00 am to 8:00 pm Friday; 8:00 am to 6:00 pm Saturday; and 1:00 pm to 5:30 pm on Sunday.
The following will resume at a later date:
- Child Watch
- Playgrounds – Indoor and Outdoor
- Gymnasium – Full Use
- Towel Service
- Coffee Service
As you visit our facilities, please be vigilant in cleaning your machine before and after use. Our staff is stationed throughout the facility to regularly sanitize equipment; however, we need your assistance to ensure everyone stays safe and healthy.
We will continue to review issued guidelines and communicate any changes through email, the website and social media.
All Branches Will Reopen on May 18
May 13, 2020
We are ready to welcome you back! Our staff have been working tirelessly to clean and update our facilities in anticipation of your return. We are happy to announce that your Y will open on Monday, May 18!
Please note that we will be reopening in phases to keep our members safe and to adhere to guidelines from the CDC and the State of South Carolina. You will notice some changes and increased signage in our facilities. The following information will also help you navigate these early days as we gradually phase back in programs and initiate some new policies.
Phase I reopening changes include:
- Modified Hours of Operation will be 5:00 am to 9:00 pm Monday – Thursday; 5:00 am to 8:00 pm Friday; 8:00 am to 6:00 pm Saturday; and 1:00 pm to 5:30 pm on Sunday.
- Group Exercise will be offered to a limited number of participants due to social distancing guidelines. The Group Exercise schedule can be found on our Schedules page. Please note that the schedule will change from week to week as more instructors become available. (SilverSneakers will begin June 1.)
- The Pool will be open for lap swim only. Please limit your swim time to no longer than 45 minutes. (The Orangeburg County YMCA Pool will open at a later date.)
- Many areas and services will remain closed until restrictions have relaxed including the towel service, steam/sauna, childwatch, gymnasium, coffee service, water fountains (bottle filler station will remain available), indoor and outdoor playgrounds.
We will continue reviewing these guidelines regularly and communicate changes through email, the website and social media. To view frequently asked questions, and Y cleaning practices please click here.
We cannot wait to see you in our facilities again, and we know you can’t wait either!
Y Opening Delay – We’re Ready as Soon as the Mandatory Closure Period is Over
April 30, 2020
Our staff and entire Y family have been preparing and getting ready to reopen, and we were set to open all of our Y’s on May 4, but, unfortunately, we have not received the green light from SC authorities.
Please know that we are eager to welcome you back and will open our doors as soon as the Governor grants us permission.
When the quarantine is over, we know you’ll be ready to get back to your fitness routine. You will be ready to take your favorite class. You will be ready to see your fellow members and friendly staff. You will be ready for that next goal. You will be ready for it all. We will also be ready and cannot wait to see our members in our facilities again!
Until that time, we encourage you to take advantage of our virtual resources (expires 06/30/2020). We thank you for your patience and understanding. The Y will continue to assist our communities in every way possible thanks to your support.
Please continue to check columbiaymca.org for updates and resources.
Stay safe and stay healthy.
Update Regarding Monthly Membership Dues Draft and Facility Operations
April 9, 2020
Dear Valued YMCA Member,
We are so grateful for your support of the Columbia Y. We miss you and are looking forward to seeing you again very soon.
Please take a few moments to review these important updates:
- Because our facilities are temporarily closed, members whose accounts are drafted in April will receive a one-month membership credit in May. If you were not drafted in April, your account will be drafted in May. If you have any questions, we are happy to assist you. Please contact Dana Cicchinelli at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are incredibly thankful for your continued membership and generosity during this unprecedented time.
- We are optimistic and prayerful that our YMCA will re-open on Monday, May 4. Until then, our facilities will remain closed in accordance with South Carolina’s Executive Order. We’ll continue to monitor CDC, State and local health department guidelines to make informed decisions. The Y’s top priority will always be your health, and the health of our community.
- Facility improvements are underway. During the temporary closure, Y employees have been disinfecting, deep cleaning, painting, and refreshing our facilities. We are excited for you to see the enhancements.
- Virtual classes and online communities are available. Just because we aren’t in the same room doesn’t mean we can’t be here for each other. YMCA 360 and Les Mills On-Demand offer free classes to YMCA Members. There are classes for all ages and all levels of fitness. Click here to learn more or sign up. (Expires 06/30/2020)
- Please consider a charitable contribution to the Y, if you can. The Y is much more than a place to work out. We are a nonprofit 501(c)3 charitable organization that has served this community for 151 years with programs focused on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Donations ensure everyone’s ability to participate in membership and programs regardless of ability to pay, including family programs, swim lessons, community support groups, activities for cancer survivors and classes for those struggling with Parkinson’s disease. Click here to view how to give.
We cannot say enough how grateful we are to call you a part of our Y family. It is our joy and privilege to offer a place where so many find health and belonging each day. We are praying that we can soon be that place for you again, and for generations of South Carolinians to come.
Please continue to check columbiaymca.org for updates and resources.
Stay safe and stay healthy.
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS REGARDING Y OPERATIONS
March 31, 2020
The YMCA of Columbia is a community organization that thrives on bringing people together – from all backgrounds and circumstances – and creating personal connections that change lives. But the nature of the Coronavirus (Covid-19), and how it spreads, presents significant challenges for our Y.
We have several important announcements to share with you as it relates to the Covid-19 pandemic.
FACILITY OPERATIONS AND MEMBERSHIP DUES
In light of recent updates from the CDC, Governor McMaster, the SC Department of Education, and our state and local health departments, and with an abundance of caution, we are delaying re-opening our facilities until Monday, May 4, 2020. This does include all YMCA of Columbia branch locations, group exercise classes, sports, senior activities, team practices, youth programs, and swim lessons.
We also understand that many of our members are currently experiencing financial hardships, therefore we are putting a hold on membership dues drafts for a one-month period. If we were unable to put a hold on your account for April, you will receive it for the month of May. If you have questions regarding payroll deduct, please email DanaCicchinelli@columbiaymca.org.
LES MILLS 60-DAY SUBSCRIPTION AND OTHER ON DEMAND SERVICES (Expires June 30, 2020)
We know there is no substitution for a live Y group exercise class, but we can supply you with the next best thing during this time of quarantine. As a special benefit for YMCA of Columbia members, our partner Les Mills is offering a FULL subscription to LES MILLS ON DEMAND free of charge. Members will now have access to over 800+ workouts for all ages and all levels of fitness. Click the following link to set-up your account – Les Mills On Demand registration.
We are also offering a free YMCA 360 subscription. Those enrolled in the SilverSneakers program have several virtual workout options available as well. Click here to learn more.
CRISIS RELIEF FUND
The Y is so much more than a gym; we are a connected community and service organization. And now more than ever before, we feel the weight of our responsibility to our communities, the children, families and seniors we serve, and to you. Right now, we are working with hospitals to repurpose our staff and facilities to provide emergency care for the children of medical providers.
Your support during this uncertain time is more important than ever — your gifts bring our mission into action. If you are able, please consider a gift to the Y today, so that we can be there for our community tomorrow. Your gift is tax-deductible and can be made at columbiaymca.org/give2020.
Together, we will face these difficult challenges. Thank you for your continued support of the Y. Stay well. Stay with us.
IMPORTANT FACILITY OPERATIONS MESSAGE FROM Y CEO
March 20, 2020
Valued YMCA Members,
For over 160 years, the YMCA of Columbia has met the critical needs of our community, and that remains especially true today.
We are engaging a strategy to provide emergency childcare for first responders and health care workers. In partnership with Prisma Health and Richland School District One, the Y will provide childcare for emergency service workers who have no other options during the coronavirus pandemic. We believe it is our responsibility to care for the caretakers. We need your continued support to meet this critical need.
It’s hard for me to imagine more difficult circumstances for our Y. We are a community organization that thrives on bringing people together – from all backgrounds and circumstances – and creating personal connections that change lives. But the nature of this virus, and how it spreads, presents significant challenges for our Y. Today, the YMCA Board of Directors made the thoughtful and difficult decision to temporarily suspend all activities at our facilities, including facility access. This is effective from 6:00 pm, Saturday, March 21, until Monday, April 6.
On behalf of everyone at our Y, I ask that you remain a part of our Y and continue to support the critical work we do in our community. Please support our efforts to care for our caretakers by continuing to pay your membership fee during this time of uncertainty. The significant impact we have on individuals, children, families and those who need us most is dependent on your program and membership fees. Our hope is that this suspension in services will be brief.
We want you to know that we care deeply about the health and wellness of our Y Members. We’ve partnered with Les Mills, a Y vendor, to provide fun, robust virtual workouts for you. These workouts are available through Les Mills OnDemand. You can also access 60 workouts through YMCA 360 OnDemand. Throughout this suspension, we’ll be providing additional virtual resources and activities to support your well-being.
We know the Y is an extension of your family and we remain honored and committed to serving you. We cannot emphasize enough the devastating impact extensive cancellations could have. Please consider your membership dues as a donation to the Y during this interruption of services. We thank you for your continued support and understanding.
For a video message and the latest information about YMCA of Columbia operations, programs and schedules, please visit www.columbiaymca.org.
As we trust God during this challenging time, please join me in prayer for the health and safety of all.
Stay well. Stay with us.
Chief Executive Officer
YMCA of Columbia
If you feel led to contribute additional funds to help those who need us most, please visit www.columbiaymca.org/give