|Water Aerobics Instructor|
|Jeep Rogers Family YMCA|
Job Application Deadline:
YMCA Competencies of a Leader
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fundraising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Instructs group classes in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that welcomes people of all skill and fitness levels. Effectively builds community within the class. Modifies class as needed to meet varied health, ability and cultural needs.
1. Arrives 5 to 10 minutes early to greet members, welcome, and assist them with setup.
2. Conducts and organizes engaging classes agreed to on the current monthly schedule that begin and end on time.
3. Finds their own subs when needed. After locating a sub, informs their supervisor of the absence at least 48 hours in advance. In the case of an emergency, instructors must contact their direct supervisor immediately. No-shows and excessive subbing of classes can lead to disciplinary action up to and including termination.
4. Adheres to all class tracking procedures.
5. Teaches to various fitness levels simultaneously and is able to provide modifications for all abilities, encouraging members to work at their own pace.
6. Monitors participants for proper positioning and intensity levels and is able to explain or demonstrate the correct and safe way to perform all exercises by applying appropriate policies and procedures.
7. Knows and adheres to general fitness principles and avoids contraindicated exercises.
8. Answers questions from members to support them in achieving their goals related to healthy living. Keeps abreast of changes and trends in the fitness industry by continuing education (reading, workshops, attending other instructor’s classes, etc.)
9. Builds effective, authentic relationships with members; helps members connect with each other and the YMCA.
10. Takes responsibility for all audio equipment and care. Ensures that class music is current, varied, appropriate, and interesting to participants. Controls safe volume levels to facilitate communication with participants. Reports any equipment or studio malfunctions to the Group Exercise Coordinator or Health and Wellness Director immediately.
11. Records time worked by clocking-in/out and completing the instructor log.
12. Maintains a professional appearance, wearing appropriate clothing; one piece bathing suit and Y shirt. Inappropriate advertising is not permitted on clothing.
13. Checks email/text messages regularly to stay current on information and respond to requests for feedback and information.
14. Attends and participates in Annual Group Exercise Summit, quarterly class performance evaluations, staff meetings, trainings, and other meetings as requested.
15. Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations.
16. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Must hold a current water exercise instructor certification.
a. Instructors of specialty classes such as Aqua ZUMBA must hold a current certification in the specialty taught.
b. Instructors of non-specialty classes must hold a current Group Exercise certification from a nationally recognized organization such as AEA (Aquatic Exercise Association), Water Art WaterinMotion, Aquatic Fitness Instructor (AFPA), etc. to teach Water Exercise classes.
2. Must hold current CPR, First Aid, EO and AED certifications.
3. Must complete online Blood Borne Pathogens and Child Abuse Prevention training within 30 days of hire.
4. Must complete all mandatory Columbia Y trainings by the required dates.
AEA (Aquatic Exercise Association) or Water Art WaterinMotion or Aquatic Fitness Instructor (AFPA)
1. Ability to conduct classes and activities.
2. Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position; including: walking, standing, bending, reaching, climbing, lifting (50 lbs.), kneeling, crouching, seeing, hearing, and carrying (50 lbs.).
3. Ability to perform close, distance, and peripheral vision to monitor all participants in the exercise venue.