Consistent with the mission and vision of the YMCA of Columbia SC, and in cooperation with other Y staff, under the direction of the Executive Director, the Aquatics Director is responsible for developing, organizing and implementing high quality, member-focused aquatics programs.
Constructed in collaboration with the County of Orangeburg in 2010, the Y includes a natatorium, fitness center, gymnasium, exercise studios, two seasonal waterparks (Orangeburg, SC & Santee, SC), and many great programs. The branch has 1400 membership units, a $1.2M operating budget, and a $62K annual campaign.
Orangeburg County is a warm, welcoming place with a unique charm that promises tranquil living. Conveniently located less than an hour’s drive from the state’s urban centers of Columbia and Charleston, Orangeburg County’s lush unspoiled terrain, friendly neighbors and safe streets combine to create a lifestyle rarely matched.
The YMCA of Columbia includes five facility branches, serving Richland, Kershaw, Calhoun, and Orangeburg counties in South Carolina.
Do you share our commitment to strengthening community? Apply today to join us. The YMCA of Columbia SC is an equal opportunity employer, drugfree workplace.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent preferred.
- YMCA Team Leader certification preferred.
- One to two years related experience.
- Ability to successfully complete the following trainings within 30 days of hire: Child Abuse Prevention, CPR, First Aid, AED, Oxygen, Bloodborne Pathogens.
- Ability to successfully complete YMCA program-specific certifications as identified by supervisor.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
- Ensures programs and services meet community needs to include supervising existing program activities, establishing new program activities, and expanding the program within the community as needed. Assists in the marketing and distribution of program information.
- Recruits, hires, trains, develops, schedules and directs personnel and volunteers as needed. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals.
- Monitors daily pool operations to adhere to all state, local and YMCA health and safety regulations.
- Conducts and ensures proper maintenance of pools. Secures and schedules pool facilities. Maintains accurate records of pool chemical levels and facility maintenance.
- Conducts lifeguarding, swim instruction, First Aid and CPR trainings.
- Creates and schedules swim classes, water fitness classes, and other aquatic activities.
- Develops and monitors program budget to meet fiscal objectives.
- Assists in YMCA fund raising activities and special events.
- Models relationship-building skills and active listening in all interactions. Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
- Assists with Advisory Board / Committee meetings.
- Compiles program statistics. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in program.
- Remains current in required and voluntary certifications and trainings.
- Periodically serves as the manager on duty in the evenings or weekends.
- Other duties as assigned.
Cause-Driven Leadership Competencies
Communication & Influence
- Developing Self & Others
- Engaging Community
- Critical Thinking and Decision Making
2550 St. Matthews Rd