Under the general supervision of the Sports Director, in cooperation with other YMCA staff, and
consistent with the Y Mission, the Sports Official is responsible for enforcement of official rules and
philosophy during all scheduled games.
NorthWest Family YMCA
Enforce the rules of the game.
• Facilitate pre-game activity.
• Ensure game starts on time.
• Take charge. Do not be afraid to blow the whistle.
• Explain your calls to players and coaches.
• Ensure safety.
• Actively engage with coaches. Always explain to the coaches how the game will be called.
• Ensure goals are adjusted according to age division and proper size ball is used.
• Assist with set-up/clean-up as needed.
• Maintain control of game. Keep composure under pressure. Help keep a positive environment. Do
not allow coaches or parents to argue with you.
• Attend all staff meetings and trainings as required.
• Promote and represent the mission and core values of the YMCA of Columbia.
• All other duties as assigned.
1. Minimum age of 16.
2. Certifications within 30 days:
a. CPR, AED, First Aid, Emergency Oxygen
b. Bloodborne Pathogens
c. Child Abuse Prevention
3. Previous experience as a referee/official preferred.
4. Knowledge and understanding of the rules of the sport.
5. Desire and ability to work with people of all ages.
6. Demonstrated responsibility and dependability.
7. Must exhibit patience, sensitivity and understanding.
Experience officiating Flag Football and/or Basketball.
Must be willing to regularly work flexible hours, weekends and holidays.
• May be required to sit, stand or maintain physical activity for extended periods of time.
• May be required to work outdoors for extended periods of time. May be exposed to extreme
outdoor weather conditions and temperatures.
• Must be alert at all times, keeping safety in mind. Must possess acceptable hearing and visual
capabilities in order to monitor environment and members’ well-being.
• Must possess auditory, verbal and visual capabilities in order to adequately communicate via
phone and in person.
• May be required to lift and carry up to 30 lbs. in various forms.
• Must exhibit patience and understanding.
• Must be capable of receiving and following detailed instructions.
• Must be capable of working under pressure in a somewhat disruptive environment.
$9/game to $15/game depending league
Some Weeknights 5PM-8PM depending on league.