The Wellness Coach follows the YMCA health and fitness guidelines and regularly demonstrates fitness/exercise knowledge and skills. The incumbent will provide orientations to members using the strength training, free weight and cardio equipment in the facility.
Ballentine Family YMCA
• Instructs members on the equipment in that facility, helping them achieve their fitness goals,
giving them good principles and correct safe proper form on equipment.
• Shows enthusiasm and professionalism in working with members. Works on member retention
by providing members with exercise options and helping them redefine their program to keep them interested.
• Greets members as they walk into the fitness center.
• Maintains a safe and clean environment by wiping down equipment, picking up towels and
keeping the fitness area presentable.
• Implements rules and regulations for safe use of the facility and maintains the daily
management of the fitness center.
• Participates in branch recruitment for facility participants or in program promotion events.
• All other duties as requested by supervisor.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
• Demonstrated customer service and communication skills.
• Ability to respond to safety and emergency situations.
• Certifications required within 90 days of employment: CPR, First Aid, Emergency Oxygen, Blood Born Pathogens, Child Abuse Prevention, My Fit Training, Listen First/Coaching Training.
• Must be able to demonstrate fitness/exercise knowledge and skills.
• Must have thorough understanding of behavior change methodology.
• Ability to build strong relationships with individuals and have empathy for health seekers.
• Must be computer savvy and detail oriented.
• CPR, First Aid, Emergency Oxygen, Child Abuse Prevention
• Must be able to perform all physical requirements of the position; including walking, standing,
bending, reaching and lifting up to 50 lbs at a time.
Sample Schedules: Monday – Friday 4:45am – 9:00am; 9:00am-12:00pm; 12:00pm-4:00pm