|Orangeburg County YMCA|
|Various swim class days and times available. Private on demand schedules available as well.|
Job Application Deadline:
YMCA Competencies of a Leader
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fundraising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Provides direct leadership, instruction and motivation for students in swimming classes.
Maintains safe swimming conditions in the pool.
1. Instructs swimming lessons in accordance with YMCA guidelines, having prepared lesson plans accordingly.
2. Builds effective, authentic relationships with students and parents; helps them connect with each other and the YMCA. Encourages parent involvement and identifies potential volunteers.
3. Conveys information on aquatics programs and schedules and as appropriate refers students and parents to other programs.
4. Maintains records as required (i.e. attendance, progress reports, etc.).
5. Attends staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
6. Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
7. Organizes and puts away needed class equipment. Reports damaged equipment.
8. Trains and supervises class aides as assigned.
9. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid certification and Emergency Oxygen.
2. Must be able to demonstrate swim instructor skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
3. YMCA Swim Instructor certification, or equivalent.
4. At least 16 years of age.
Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid and Emergency Oxygen. Red Cross WSI or YMCA Swim Instructor
*Previous swim instructor experience.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to instruct and observe participants in proper stroke techniques.
• Ability to lift equipment, and to lift a small to average size child.