YMCA of Columbia is Gearing Up for the Best Summer
Programming keeps kids moving, exploring and learning all summer long
[COLUMBIA, SC] – At the end of the summer, families want to hear their child had “the best summer ever.” To help make that happen, YMCA of Columbia is offering summer camps to keep kids and teens in adventurous, active, engaged and healthy all summer long. YMCA camp programs offer youth fun and unique experiences with an opportunity to explore the outdoors, meet new friends, discover new interests and create memories that last a lifetime.
Summer is the ideal time for kids to get up, get out and explore. But for some kids, summer means no access to recreational and educational activities to help them learn, grow and thrive during out-of-school time. As a result, some kids can experience learning loss and gain weight twice as fast than during the school year. Attending Y summer camp is a wonderful opportunity for kids to keep their minds and bodies active.
“It’s imperative that kids stay engaged socially, physically and academically throughout the summer. Summer camp is a wonderful way to ensure that,” says AJ Hernandez, Executive Director, Downtown YMCA. “In our camps, kids are in a welcoming environment where they can belong, they’re building relationships, developing character and discovering their potential. We really encourage parents to give their kids the gift of camp to keep them active and engaged all summer long.”
Hernandez says there are five reasons why children and teens should attend summer camp:
- ADVENTURE: Summer camp is all about a wide variety of new experiences and exploring the outdoors. YMCA camps have a new adventure for every child and teen. Visit columbiaymca.org/camp for details.
- HEALTHY FUN: Day and resident camps offer fun, stimulating activities that engage the body and mind, and also help children and teens learn the importance of nutrition to help improve their healthy eating habits.
- PERSONAL GROWTH: While in the welcoming environment of camp, youth have a chance to learn new skills, and develop confidence and independence by taking on new responsibilities and challenges. Camps offer cognitive learning and social-emotional development opportunities for achievement.
- FRIENDSHIPS: Amidst the fun of camp games, songs, swimming, canoeing and talent shows, campers meet new friends and strengthen existing friendships. The bonds formed at camp are important and lasting for many youth.
- MEMORIES: Summer camp is an unforgettable experience that will give each camper memories (and camp traditions) that will last a lifetime. Youth return to school with plenty of camp stories to share!
The Y offers traditional day, half-day specialty, preschool, teen and on-site Richland One camps. And, to ensure that all youth have the chance to experience camp, the Y offers financial assistance to those in need. If you’re interested in helping send kids to camp this summer, you can donate at columbiaymca.org/give.
A leading nonprofit committed to nurturing the potential of youth, the Y has been a leader in providing summer camp for over 131 years. The YMCA of Columbia continues to give youth an enriching, safe experience with caring staff and volunteers who model positive values that help build their kids’ character.
For more information, visit columbiaymca.org or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.